Director of Music
St. Joseph Catholic Church
St. Joseph Catholic Church in Fayetteville, Arkansas, is a growing Catholic community embracing a variety of musical styles. The Director of Music has primary responsibility for the planning and development of the parish’s music ministry.
Character of the Position
The Director is an expert in his/her area of responsibility and assumes overall responsibility for all choirs, ensembles, instrumentalists, and other related areas.
The Director should be creative, flexible, enthusiastic, a good communicator, and enjoy working in a team environment. He/she must have practical experience in planning worship and in leading liturgical music. He/she must be prepared to work with all age groups and with both traditional and contemporary styles of music.
This position is full-time and reports to the pastor.
- For the Saturday 5 pm and Sunday 9 am Masses
- Determine Mass settings to be used
- Select hymns that correspond to the readings and celebration of the day
- Play the organ and direct the choir
- Attend and direct the rehearsals
- For the 11:30 a.m. Mass, 1:30 p.m. Mass, and 5 p.m. Sunday Masses
- Attend rehearsals as needed
- Provide theological formation and professional development as needed
- Provide accompaniment as needed
- For the Friday 8:15 school Mass and for school Masses on holy days
- Provide accompaniment for the Mass
- Coordinate participation of choirs in regularly scheduled liturgies and special occasions (such as holy days)
- Prepare recommendations for annual budget for all music-related areas and operate within the budget
- Oversee the purchase of new music within the budget
- Attend regular staff meetings
- Evaluate and suggest equipment needed for music ministry; maintain instruments by arranging for repair and tuning as necessary
- Provide for substitutes when personally unavailable
- Coordinate music for funerals and weddings (fee schedule determined separately)
- Excellent understanding of Catholic liturgy
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in music
- At least 3 years of church music experience
- Experience in leading and mentoring choirs
- Strong written/verbal communication skills
- Compliant with diocesan Safe Environment policy, including background check
- Lead a life in keeping with the teachings of the Catholic Church